Anna Mary Robertson Moses
  • Anna Mary Robertson Moses, aka "Grandma Moses" Children always dream of what
    they want to be when they "grow up Cheapest
    Cigarettes In The World
    ."But when a person has lived their life, raised a
    family and has entered"old age,"careersdo not alwaysstop there, as experienced
    first-hand by this month's entrepreneur. Grandma Moses was born Anna Mary
    Robertsonon September 7, 1860, the third of ten children (5 girls, 5 boys)born
    to Russell King Robertson Newport Cigarettes
    Official Website
    , a farmer,and his wifeMargaretof Greenwich, New York. At
    the age of 12, she began earning her living as a housekeeper working at homes
    near the family's farm, a job she stayed with until she was 27 years old. In
    1897, Anna Mary metand married Thomas Salmon Moses, ahandymanat the farm where
    she wasworking at the time. The newlyweds honeymooned in North Carolina and on
    their way back to New York Price Of
    Marlboro Cigarettes
    , decided to invest their combined $600 savings in the
    rental of a farm near Staunton, Virginia. They remained in Virginia for twenty
    years. Ten children (five of whom died in infancy) were born to them. Russell
    died there in 1927 and Anna Marycontinued to operate the farm for several years,
    with the help ofa son and daughter-in-law. When arthritiscrippled her hands at
    the age of 76 Buying Cigarettes
    , she had to give up doing farm chores and her beloved embroidery.
    Nevertheless, she longed to keep busy and tookup painting with a passion every
    day -- she couldcould no longer hold an embroidery needle, but she could hold a
    brush, and could not bear the thought of being idle. Sheworked five or six hours
    each day on her paintings. At night she liked to watch TV Westerns --not for the
    drama but because she liked to see horses. Her brightly-colored paintings were
    created from the sky downward, adding mountains Newport Cigarettes Price, hills, trees,
    houses, then cattle and lastly, the people. Years later, she said, "If I hadn't
    started painting, I would have raised chickens. Painting's not important. The
    important thing is keeping busy." She entered her first paintings in the county
    fair, along with samples of her raspberry jam and strawberry preserves. Her jam
    had won a ribbon, but nobody noticed those first paintings. He thendrove to Anna
    Mary's home and bought ten others she had there. The following year, she was
    represented in a "contemporary unknown painters" exhibition at the Museum of
    Modern Art under "Mrs. Moses"in New York. Her paintings were quickly reproduced
    on Christmas cards, tiles,curtains, dresses, cookie jars and dinnerware, and
    were usedto pitch cigarettes, cameras, lipstick and instant coffee. In November
    2006, her work "Sugaring Off" (1943), became her highest selling work at $1.2
    million. In June of 2011, her work "The Red Bridge (1940) sold for $24,150. A
    1942 piece, "The Old Checkered House, 1862" was appraised at $60,000 (originally
    purchased in the 1940s for under $10). During the 1950s, Grandma Moses'
    exhibitions were so popular that they broke attendance records all over the
    world. A cultural icon, the spry, productive nonagenarian was continually cited
    as an inspiration for housewives, widows and retirees. commemorative stamp was
    issued in her honor in 1969. A German fan once offered his explanation for the
    huge popularity of her work: "There emanates from her paintings a light-hearted
    optimism; the world she shows us is beautiful and it is good. You feel at home
    in all of these pictures, and you know their meaning. The unrest and the
    neurotic insecurity of the present day make us inclined to enjoy the simple and
    affirmative outlook of Grandma Moses." The character Granny on the popular 1960s
    rural comedy television series, "The Beverly Hillbillies," was named Daisy Mae
    Moses as an homage to Grandma Moses, who died on December 13, 1961 at the age of
    101,shortly before the series began. Her doctor said she had died of hardening
    of the arteries, but the best way to describe the cause of death, he suggested,
    was to say, "she just wore out." The Bennington Museum in Bennington, Vermont,
    holds the largest public collection of Grandma Moses' paintings in the country,
    as well as "yarn paintings," art supplies, and the 18th century tilt-top table
    she painted with rustic scenes and used as her easel. In her autobiography, "My
    Life's History,"published in 1951, Grandma Moses expressed her basic philosophy:
    "I look back on my life like a good day's work, it was done and I feel satisfied
    with it. I was happy and contented, I knew nothing better and made the best out
    of what life offered. And life is what we make it, always has been, always will
    be."
    Related articles:
    Newport
    Ingredients

How
    Much Are Marlboro Lights

Tobacco
    Marketing

Price
    Cigarettes

Carton
    Of Marlboro Reds Price

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters

Who's Online (0)